Wednesday 30 March 2011

Monday 27 March

Playing with Adrianne we came 4th with 24 Butler points, behind the winners Bob & Cathie with 32. We had a terrible start as at trick 2 against Norman and Bill when I doubled a weak NT with a flat 15 count, Adrianne with her flat 3 points passes and it makes 12 tricks! Sensible defence probably keeps it to 9 tricks, but it is just a part score hand. On the next board against Issy and Gerald we felt we were in for a dreadful score : Our bidding went: P - 1S – 2S – x 4H - P – P – 4NT P -5C – P – 6C P - P – 6H – x – Passed out No comment on some of the bids, but Adrianne went 3 off for -500 when it looked like there were 2 spade losers in 6C. However we got a plus score. Four people made 6C and a few were in 4S making. Also, would I have led AD against 6C? If so, it makes. On this hand only 4 of us made 4H. I didn’t make it easy for myself. Against Steve & Mike, Steve led QD to my Ace and I led a spade to Ace, Queen and Jack. Steve now led 8C to Mike’s Ace. A diamond came back and as I fancied the club finesse was right, I discarded a spade. I now played Ace and another heart and Steve shows out. I took the King, finessed the club and cashed the King. Over to the KS, ruffed a diamond, ruffed a spade for 9 tricks and leading the winning club from dummy guarantees me a 10th whether Mike ruffs low, high or not at all. We reached slam on this hand after: P - 1H - P - 1S P - 4S - P - 4NT Adrianne shows 3 or 0 and I bid 6S. Adrianne has no chance and goes 2 down. Only 5 out of 14 reach slam (one was in 7S?), so a poor score. Missing QS and an Ace stopping in 6S is reasonably sensible, but no good as you go off anyway. We got a terrible score on this board as our opponents landed on their feet. After 2 passes I opened 3C, the East hand doubled?! West bids 4C?! and East bids 4S. West now bids 5D passed out. There were 4 pairs found this excellent contract, though I doubt it was this way! Twelve tricks make, you can't argue with success.

No comments: