Thursday 26 March 2015

Thursday 25 March

Playing N/S with Gerry came first with 61% though we did have our ups and downs.


I have a problem with Lucas Twos as when partner opens one I am never sure whether came is on or not. Don't know why, I am a reasonable just with weak twos but Lucas seems to give me rose tinted spectacles.
Anyway Gerry opened 2S as South and I have a nice hand. I thought about passing 2S but I do have a lot of trick taking ability in no trump and decidded to ask with 2N.  Gerry bid 3H showing upper range and clubs and I bid 3N.
Anna had no problem finding a club lead and this contract had no chance. In fact I was very lucky to win 8 as Catherine discarded a heart on the 3rd diamond meaning I could lead the suit from hand and when in with AH she exited with KD.
Have to write a note to myself with Lucas, don't go for game unless you have a fit or a very good hand.


This was a tricky hand.  Our bidding went :

 P  -  1D  -  1H  -  2C
 P  -  2S  -  4H   -  x (hesitation)
 P  -  4S  -  all pass

I meant to ask some players at the end if they would have bid on after a slow double but forgot.  Anna and Catherine wouldn't say anything.

Anyway AH lead, a trump looks the best switch but Anna played 4D.  Decision time. As we can see the clubs all come in, but my problem was if I go for clubs once trumps are drawn I have no entry if I don't find Kx onside. I also expect trumps to split  4- 1.
I let the diamond run by discarding a heart from Dummy and Catherine won the Ace.  She returned a heart and I ruffed.  I led a small diamond and Anna's 9 appeared, so things were looking good.  I ruffed in Dummy, ran JS, 10S covered and I cashed AK of trumps. I played KD felling the Q and ran the diamonds until Catherine took her trump and I claimed the rest.

You sometimes play against new or weaker players and watch them lose control and they don't seem to have any idea of what is going on.  The trouble is it happens to me sometimes as well.
I opened a Lucas 2S, Jim overcalled 3C and Gerry bid 4S. Notice partner knows when to go for game over a Lucas.
Anyway, AD lead, switch to a small club and Dummy's Jack won. I counted my tricks 5 spades, 4 clubs and AH will have to be onside.  Note FOUR clubs, I thought the Q had gone?!?
I can't remember the exact order, two rounds of trumps and a heart which Jim took and exited with a black card.  Anyway, in my head I had my 10 tricks, had lost two and in robotic mode I unblocked AC and ran my trumps to see what happens.
After the last trump I suddenly realised I hadn't seen the QC, the 10C is not a winner, I should have ruffed it!
O me miserum. How did I get to here, was there a recovery? Actually there was, Dot had discarded all her diamonds and was down to the King.  If I had exited with 10D and ducked in Dummy, Dot would have to return a heart to my King and my QD was the 10th trick. As I sat there in my anguish I just couldn't think straight, I gave up, cashed my KC and KH and conceded the last two tricks. All at sea.

No comments: