Tuesday 22 January 2013

Monday 22 January

Playing N/S with Adrianne, came in the middle with a Butler score of -2.  Most hands were undistinguished, there were just a couple early on where we had the chance of a good score and blew it.


Against Steve and Marilyn I opened 3D and this was passed out.  This makes easily enough even losing a club ruff.  In fact I made 10 as I slipped a spade through.
I was unsure about opening but felt it had two advantages a) It halts my partner who might have a good hand with both majors and b) if the opponents have a major game I can get across my hand by bidding clubs at a high level.  Unfortunately if I passed then Adrianne is opening 1C giving me an easy 5C bid.  More interesting is if East opens 1H (satisfies rule of 19), Adrianne will probably pass, West will raise to 3H, I'll bid 3N. East will pass and Adrianne maybe just 4C, but should really think about 5C.  In fact I should probably bid 4N, not 3.

We have a clear understanding after a pre-empt that when we bid a major we are looking for 3 card support or Hx and can support the pre-empt suit.  On this hand against Raymond and Alec our bidding went:

3D  -  P  -  3S  -  P
4D  -  P  -  4H  -  x
4S  -  P  -  5D  -  passed out.

Where did Alec get that double?  It completely threw us anyway.  Adrianne should really pass, but I'll probably bid 5D anyway 4H wouldn't have been easy without the double but I think I would have got home with Ace and another spade with a subsequent spade ruff.  As long as I don't play Ace followed by Queen of hearts from hand, or lose a diamond ruff, I should be fine.
Without the double 5D should make OK even on a spade lead (or KC followed by a spade) as now you can set up spades. With no spade lead you can set up hearts.
However, everyone is placing Alec with KJx(x) of hearts so Raymond led KC, Alec overtakes and continues a club (this ensures his diamond trick) to give Adrianne a ruff and discard, but she is expecting 2 heart losers so instead of throwing a spade she quite rightly throws a heart. She manages to set up spades and doesn't lose any heart, but loses KS, AC and QD for down one.
Now why didn't Raymond lead KH after the double? What was the double anyway?!

No comments: