Thursday 27 March 2008

Wednesday 26th March



Playing with Harry there's never a dull moment. He got really poor hands as South, so maybe that explains the problem he gave me on board 6:

Looking at a maximum 2NT opening, I was surprised to see partner reach for a stop card. Could he be bidding 3S? Could this be the once in 10 years use of the Grand Slam Force of 5NT? No, he pulls out 3C. Well if he has 7 to the KQ there are 13 top tricks, how many spade losers though? I couldn't think what to do, so I temporised with 3H. Harry bids 4H. So 7 clubs and 3 hearts, even money there's only one spade loser at most. I still couldn't decide what to do, will there even be a spade lead? Then I thought, why not play it in 4H, we'll beat everyone in 5C with any luck, so I passed!


Of course Harry hasn't anything like what I expected. After AS and a heart switch, I played a spade to the King and finessed a club. I had 11 tricks now.


Now of course everyone else passes the South hand and the bidding goes 2NT - 3NT, off on a spade lead. However I only got a second top, someone made 12 in No Trump!?


Hand 11 was an interesting problem and though I got a top, it was really an error.

Harry opens 4H, obviously we have masses of tricks, most 4H openers have values outside, so hoping for a club stop I bid 6S. I got a trump lead and running 6 spades makes life difficult for the defenders who make an error as West comes down to a doubleton KQ club while retaining 3 hearts to the Queen and guarding the KD. I now play AC, AH, KH dumping two diamonds and exit with JC picking up the last two tricks with the last trump and the 9C.

Nobody esle bid a slam, but 6S was an error. I realised I should have bid 6H. This protects a possible KC in the South hand and my spades are solid for the discards needed. You just don't immediately think of raising when you are void.

No comments: