Thursday 6 March 2008

Wednesday 6th March

Both of us were under the weather last night and it showed. However I seem to be on a run of opponents doing the right thing. Hand 11 was typical.

East opens 1H, West bids 2H and East declares in 4H, finds QD and makes 10. They were the ONLY pair in it. Many were in 1D, some in 2H or 3H, one North was in 2C. What is wrong with all those Wests? Whether East opens 1D or 1H, West has a simple raise.

I always open the major with a hand I am rebidding 2NT, but I don’t use checkback, I suppose the 1D openers had checkback available.

Board 20 is another typical example. Only two pairs play in 3S, one was of course against us. Unbeatable for 140.
West opens 1C, not great but people always open rubbish 12 counts, this hand is better than that. My hand is a 2H overcall in our system and East doubles. West bids 2S, this is passing out until my partner tries 3D. I decide 3H must be better and then East bids 3S. No point in me going to 4H vul for –200.

Did we get any good ones? Well twice with a big suit we played in 3NT which scored well:
Hand 1:
Playing a strong club I have to open 1D! There is a 1H overcall, partner makes a system bid of 2S and I bid 3NT hoping there aren’t a pile of diamond losers off the top. On a heart lead I made the obvious 11 tricks. Many were in 5C.

Hand 22:

Here partner bids a strong club, the bidding proceeds : 1C – 1S – 1NT – P – 3H – 3NT.

I expect 6 good hearts and an outside singleton with 16/17 points for the 3H bid. Partner coolly passed my 3NT. I made 12 after a spade lead and a club discard by East on the run of the hearts.

Our best board was probably our last, board 24:

West opens 1C, I overcall 1NT, East bids 2S (weak, as you double with any decent hand), partner bids 3H, West 3S and I bid 4H. This makes the obvious 11 tricks after a spade lead but many weren’t in it or defended spades. I would have thought there were many routes to 4H by N/S, even after a 1NT opener by West and even then if North is stuck for a bid, the 2H transfer by East brings South in.

No comments: