Tuesday 7 August 2012

Deauville

Played in a 3 day Mixed Pairs event. Unfortunately had a terrible first day finishing with 40%, improved with 52% and 54% the other 2 days to end with 48.5%.  They use Scrolling Results and about half way through day 1 we look up to see ourselves 3rd last with 36%, very depressing.

It is difficult to get started having to call for “petit pique” or “roi de trefle” etc. as well as trying to figure out what you have in a suit when you look at RV9. Anyway although we didn’t do well when we went over the hands we saw that we were incredibly unlucky with opponents just finding the right contract / lead against us.

I got away with my bid on this board. North opened a weak 2S and Adrianne bid 3D, South bid 3S.  What on earth do I bid with my hand? We play 2N Lebensohl over weak 2s, so Adrianne's hand is quite strong and this is the minimum I can expect.  Still what is best by me, maybe double but it probably goes for 300.  Maybe Adrianne can find 3N with one spade guard, but she won't know there are 6 club tricks.  I just crossed my figures and bid 4H.  A spade and two hearts to lose, good score.

John was the only English player we played against.  In fact he said he had been a visiting lecturer at Strathclyde. This was typical of our luck on the day.
Their bidding went 1C – 1D – 1N – 3N, Madame didn’t care to play in a major.  Adrianne can’t find the heart lead which could have defeated it and with diamonds 3-3, 9 tricks were there.  The field of course bid the ‘sensible’ 1C – 1D – 1N – 3H – 4H which is unmakeable.



This hand though was my fault against the eventual winners.  There were a number of kibbitzers which made it rather galling.


After 2 passes South opened 1D.  We play intermediate jumps when both green, however lacking filling in spades I could have bid 1S, but 2S it was.  Passed round to South who has an automatic double, passed out.
Diamond lead to Ace, spade to the 10, another diamond to my King.  I ran JC, ducked. Another club to QKA. South played 3rd club and I discarded a heart but two down unavoidable for a bottom.

No comments: